3 ripe plantains
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Wash plantains and cut into thirds; leaving the skin on. Place the pieces in a medium pan with water; cover, and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the flesh is soft, about 15 minutes
- Drain and peel the plantains and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash to a smooth consistency and add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Using your hands, form small, thin cakes about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Heat oil in large skillet until very hot.
- Fry the cakes until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Sprinkle with sugar and serve as a starter or dessert.