JamaicaScene.com: Jamaica Travel Guide
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder and salt and pepper
2 cups flour
1/2 cup white vegetable shortening or margarine
5 Tbs ice water
curry powder as above and salt and pepper
1 pound ground chicken
1 small onion fine chopped
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1 large clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons curry powder or to taste
1 Scotch Bonnet chili pepper, seeded and fine chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water or beef broth
1/4 cup flour
- Make standard pastry and chill wrapped about 4 hour or overnight. Make filling by sauteing in some oil ( olive ) the onions, peppers, garlic and chili pepper until softened.
- Add ground meat and cook and stir and break up meat until meat is browned and cooked. Add remaining ingredients and cook and stir until mixture is fully cooked and thickened. Remove from heat , adjust seasonings and cool.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator and let soften at room temperature about 15 minutes.
- Roll pastry out on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. . Cut out circles with a 4 inch circular cutter or cut size as desired. Place some filling in center of circle and fold over edges to seal and prick edges with tinges of a fork.
- Bake 400F until golden , about 15 mins. for small pieces, 20 mins for medium pieces and 25 to 30 mins for larger pieces. Yield: 12 medium, 6 large or 24 appetizers.