JamaicaScene.com: Jamaica Travel Guide
2½ cups sifted cake flour
1½ cups granulated sugar
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter
¾ cup buttermilk
1¼ cups mashed ripe Jamaican bananas
2 tbl light rum
1. Sift together the sifted cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a
large mixing bowl.
2. Add shortening, butter, buttermilk, rum and mashed banana; mix until moistened, then beat
on low speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs and beat 1 minute longer. Grease 2 9-inch round or square layer cake pans
and line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper.
4. Divide batter into the two pans; bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, until Jamaican cake
5. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes in pans; remove from pans to wire racks to