250g plain flour
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp salt
125g hard margarine
3-4 tbsp cold water
1 egg, beaten
For the vegetable filling:
1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
2cm root ginger, grated
1 courgette, cut into thin strips
1 carrot, cut into thin strips
1 sweet potato, cut into thin strips
1 small tin chopped tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 5.
- To make the filling, fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the other filling ingredients, and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Make the pastry while the filling is cooling. Sieve the flour and turmeric into a bowl with the salt, and rub in the margarine until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough and knead it gently until the pastry is smooth.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle about 5mm thick, and cut out about 12 circles with a pastry cutter.
- Put the circles on a greased baking tray and brush the edge of each with the beaten egg to help the edges stick. Place a small amount of the filling in the centre of each and fold each circle in half, pressing the edges together with the prongs of a fork.
- Brush the surface of each pattie with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve them hot or cold with a crisp mixed salad.