4 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
2 scotch bonnet or habenero peppers, chopped and seeded
1 large red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of ground allspice
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons of Jamaican curry powder
2 pounds of lean beef, such as stew or sirloin beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups of chicken or beef broth
2 large potatoes, chopped into quarter pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste Bring a large pot to medium heat.
- Add the oil and place in the pot the garlic, ginger red onion, scotch bonnet peppers and thyme.
- Sauté for about a minute. Add the curry powder, allspice and ground cloves.
- Stir the mixture for about 3 minutes making sure to evenly coat with spices.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Add in the potatoes and pour in the chicken or beef stock and add salt to taste.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for 1 to ½ hours. Serve with rice.