½ cup shortening
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground Jamaican cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flaked Jamaican coconut
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon Jamaican nutmeg
Add a splash of Jamaican rum to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. Combine flour, salt, 1 teaspoon Jamaican cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients; beat well after each addition.
3. Spoon Jamaican coconut cake batter into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Combine Jamaican coconut, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon Jamaican cinnamon, Jamaican nutmeg, and half-and-half. Spoon over cake batter.
5. Bake cake at 350° for 35 minutes, or until Jamaican coconut cake is done.