1 whole chicken, about 3 to 4 pounds
Juice of 2 fresh limes
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups water
3 medium potatoes, washed and cubed
1. Cut chicken in 1 1/2 to 2-inch serving pieces. Squeeze thejuice of the limes into a large bowl of water; wash the chicken piecesin the water and drain.
2. In small bowl mix the garlic, green onions and ginger; allowflavors to blend for 30 minutes.
3. Mix curry powder and allspice with sugar and salt. Rub spicemixture and the garlic mixture onto the chicken. Place in a glassbowl; cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
4. In large heavy skillet, brown chicken in hot oil overmedium-high heat. Add the water and potatoes. As soon as liquid startsto boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked,approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Chicken should be tender and juicesrun clear.
5. Serve with rice and vegetables